Deep refurbishment of a 1960s office building
PJMA was appointed by the building owner during the works to refurbish an existing office building originally built in 1959/60. The commission was intially to design the upward extension of both wings of offices, however this was extended to include works to create a new roof terrace on the roof of the River Wing and to convert the basement levels for use as gym premises.
The scope of work involved detail technical study of the existing facade and replication of the existing details in new cladding and glazing elements above. At basement level, both existing structure and new structural alterations required extensive waterproofing to create new accommodation.
The extension of the building involved the careful coordination of existing and new structures during procurement and construction of these elements. The integration of the new floors required development of new building-wide strategies, including fire design and new facade access. The terrace areas included a number of challenges including integration of a hot tub, deep planters and terrace finishes suspended over the roof.