The project was for the conversion of the former Shoreditch County Court, a Grade II Listed Building that was built as the Finsbury Technical College in 1881-3, to the learning resource centre and teaching accommodation for the Central Foundation Boy’s School (CFBS).
The works included the complete internal strip of the current court fittings, the partial demolition of existing partitions, the construction of new partitions, the sensitive replacement of all mechanical and electrical services and toilets, the introduction of a new mezzanine at first floor level, the introduction of a new passenger lift and other measures to improve the accessibility of the building.
Original features were retained wherever possible, although the most were removed during the conversion from technical college to courthouse. The building was carefully reintegrated with the existing School premises. The design respected the fabric of the building and brought it together with the aspirations of the School in a complimentary relationship.
In further projects for the school, the practice designed an new entrance to the school and also undertook a project to safely retain an existing cast iron stair.